Sunday, January 9, 2011

Weekend eats

Last night we made up a couple of ribeye steaks with roasted beets and potatoes and balsamic coleslaw.  This meal took care of our cabbage and our beets from the CSA box!

I've noted that I suck at remembering to take pictures of the foods before we eat them--perhaps a sign I should start cooking before we're starving...

The votes:

Loved the roasted beets!  I just scrubbed them up, cut off the greens and pointy root ends, tossed them on a pan with a drizzle of olive oil and salt/pepper.  Into a 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes until they've softened.  Luscious!  Huz really liked them as well :)

The balsamic coleslaw was really good as well.  I didn't have carrots or poppy seeds, so I just left those things out.  I also didn't measure ingredients--just went by taste.  We both agreed we like this better than regular creamy coleslaws!


Tonight we had Gobi Aloo (cauliflower and potatoes) and Chana Masala (spicy chickpeas) with jasmine rice and naan.  I didn't have any garam masala, so I swapped out Penzey's rogan josh.  The sub worked just fine!  This meal used up the second head of cauliflower and the cilantro.

The votes:

We both really liked these dishes as well!  I added some seared stew beef to the gobi aloo (a concession to the huz's love of meat).  The chickpea recipe said spicy, but it wasn't hot at all.  Just had really good flavor.  Unfortunately, I overbaked the naan, so that was all crappy.  The rest is definitely a "do again" meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment