Monday, January 17, 2011

Box 2: Jan 13

This week's box contained the following veggies/herbs:

Broccoli
Cauliflower (purple this week!)
Red and green lettuces
Cabbage
Beets
Parsley
Kohlrabi
Turnips
Carrots
Rainbow chard
Yellow multiplier onions
Sweet potatoes


csabox_2011-w2.JPG.jpg

(photo from http://www.jbgorganic.com/guide/)

So far, I've just used a little of the parsley to make ratatouille (adapted from this recipe).  I added in a container of sliced mushrooms and three different types of squash (yellow, calabaza, and zucchini).  I didn't have fresh or canned tomatoes, so I used a large can of tomato sauce, which worked fine.  Rather than slicing and layering all the veggies, then dumping sauce over the top, I chopped the eggplant, sliced everything else, and cooked it all a bit before dumping the sauce in and mixing it all together.  I baked at 350 until the cheese on top browned a bit (around 1/2 hour or so).

The votes:

I found I'm not much of an eggplant fan.  The texture creeps me out.  That being said, the dish itself was really good.  I froze the leftovers to serve over pasta at some point.  The huz liked it as well and complained he ate too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment